Monday, 3 March 2008

the greatest street event.....





.....I wondered the streets with my camera at the ready; discretely tucked away, but ready to rise like a cobra at the most minor scent of a victim for my "street photography assignment". time ticks by, I take photographs of minor items, a cat eating a fish head - a seagull appearing to stand on top of someone's head - but nothing noteworthy.....where's a good riot when you want one I asked myself?


All of a sudden the most unexpected event happened right above me; with perfect comedy timing as I walk amidst tables in an outdoor cafe, a seagull swoops overhead and deposits a nice load of seabird-poo over my head, shoulder, down the side of my neck and my woolly jumper......marvellous. All attempts at anonymity go out of the window as everyone sniggers as I wipe myself down and skulk into the shadows of Istanbul's narrow lanes once more







3 comments:

Brett said...

ha, too bad you weren't ready like a cobra to avoid the bird crap.

SF said...

I wonder if anyonearound you took a cool street photo ofyou covered in shit!

Richard Schofield said...

I bet birds never crapped on Cartier-Bresson.

Ha! Poor old Jono.

Maybe you'd have better luck with the street/moment stuff if you thought of them in the wider context of part of an assignment including other types of shots. Maybe not. I started out working exclusively with street stuff, and was amazed to find that other people did it. Maybe that's why I found the brief not too hard. Maybe if I tried to do it as part of a bigger assignment I'd find it impossible. We're all different I guess. Keep on keeping on Jono. You do it very well mate.

About Me

My photo
Istanbul, Türkiye
Coming to Istanbul by accident, I’ve fallen in love with the city and have now made it my home. Dodging stray dogs, a multitude of cats and baskets descending from the sky on a daily basis I walk the streets photographing the events and life I find spread around me. Born and brought up in Wales, I’ve travelled around the world and worked extensively in the Middle East, Africa and Europe.

Location

Current Location:

—via Lightstalkers