Saturday, 10 January 2009

it's a wonderful life.....



Christmas was wonderful in being with my family, but in walking about my home town it was so depressing. Apart from a couple of weekends it was the first time I’d spent time in my home town since last Christmas and the change is extreme.

In some streets over half of the shops are closed up. The only shop that I’ve seen open in that year away is a “Cheques cashed” shop; aimed at those who are really on the line with no bank account, no means of cashing cheques.

A discount store has closed even. The Country Kitchen health food shop which has been there for 24 years has closed. And with each one the town sinks lower and lower……the only thing that’s growing and spreading is the heroin.

3 comments:

antrim said...

jono, this is def. a story to persue...

Mia said...

Shocking!!

SF said...

Yes... I agree with antrim... follow this up!

About Me

My photo
Istanbul, Türkiye
Coming to Istanbul by accident, I’ve fallen in love with the city and have now made it my home. Dodging stray dogs, a multitude of cats and baskets descending from the sky on a daily basis I walk the streets photographing the events and life I find spread around me. Born and brought up in Wales, I’ve travelled around the world and worked extensively in the Middle East, Africa and Europe.

Location

Current Location:

—via Lightstalkers