it's been an eventful January for sure despite not being over yet. I've moved from the UK to Turkey; from my own small flat in SLondon to one that's got frescos on every ceiling in the centre of Istanbul's old town. i've been for a cup of tea in Asia, lunch in Europe and then back to Asia for a beer, and all in the same day. i'm finding inspiring things on every corner. A house i photographed and the family who lived there 2 months ago no longer has a roof, windows or electrical wiring......i'm trying to persuade them to go back to their old home with me, but they're undecided at the moment. i'm chatting with socialogists, anthroplogists and anyone with an "....ology" in their title to quote Maureen Lipman.
I almost didnt' get here though......here's the email i sent out the day after i got here.......:
"Just wanted to extend my thanks to you all for helping to make Saturday a memorable farewell for me……despite the 24 hours notice it was lovely to have so many good friends around to ensure that I came darn close to missing my taxi the next morning……..
I’m still uncertain as to the purpose of Alex deciding to rugby tackle me in the middle of the road in the path of oncoming traffic, but I’m delighted I was able break his fall and prevent him from hurting himself…… Champagne shooters in bar2; delightful and tasty Kate - far too tasty. There’s also the benefit of John’s car being so truly unreliable in that he was the first choice of Helen, truly a damsel in distress in the -6’c climate induced virtual-negligee…….
The next morning found me cursing as some moron telephoned me through my tequila induced deep sleep; it took a couple of moments and I started to realise something – my head was screaming at me from inside….the pain started to bring me round and I wondered why it hurt so much……..ahh yes tequila……last night…..a party……for me……because I’m leaving…..because I’m leaving today……..this morning…….airport……early…….(the time now? 6.20am) the flight departure…….7.55am…….1hr 30mins before the flight leaves……shit…..
I had 2 or 3 mins to sort myself out and grab my thankfully packed bags and dash out the door leaving the boys to finalise the final clearing of my room………although I still managed to leave behind 2 suits hanging in my wardrobe in the chaos. In the taxi the guy whinged at me; and looking at my phone realised he was correct; the call that woke me was the 4th phone call (5th if you include my slept through alarm clock) and he had been about to depart……close, too close……! I got the last of the check in, and walked straight through departures, the gate and direct on to the plane – far too close; I reckon I had 5 or 10 minutes spare!
Since then it's been a mad whirl of catching up with people; socially and in terms of trying to develop work (yup, that involves more of the "social" element) and then a little more kideny abuse. Work wise - well i've been asked to take baby photographs, a wedding, week long trips to Algeria and Morocco and photographs of a birth ("you mean "baby photographs?" - "No. Well yes, you know, when baby head comes out of lady".....oh. )
The last 2 days i haven't been able to work on the projects and there was no work. But i'm playing with new toys and skills i should have worked on a long time ago. This weekend has been a photography weekend away from the day job....... the buttons on the new 5D are in a different position; and i keep pressing the wrong button for "AE Lock" - i finally decided to wonder around for the day and find different lighting experiences, shadows and events to get me going...... feel free to get a cuppa btw if you feel like watching. there's no theme, no story, no reason - it's just some of the photographs from my weekend. btw; for those of you fancying a holiday - all of this was done by walking from my house....
Good luck for the final year of our course to you all.
J
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment